The second and third lines of defence functions have gained more prominence over the last decades and are evolving rapidly in the Capital Market Operators (CMOs) world in Nigeria.
This has led to an increasing demand from the board, senior management and regulators for these functions to engage internally and with regulators at a higher level. The second and third lines of defence functions in most CMOs now present reports directly to the board and relevant management and board committees. These functions are also prominently involved with regulatory engagements and interactions with investigative/law enforcement agencies.
The ultimate question becomes “How prepared are these functions” or “How have these functions been prepared” to handle these evolving responsibilities? For the professionals working in these functions to meet the expectations and demands of these evolving engagement responsibilities, they need to perfect their skills on “Documentation Drafting,” “Report Writing,” and “Letter Writing,” especially inquiry, clarification and response letters to regulators and investigation/law enforcement agencies (for external engagements), as well as reports going either to the board or relevant board and management committees (for internal engagements).
Do you know how to write a convincing, clear and succinct report to your board and relevant board and management committees? Can you confidently draft relevant policies to run your function and do you know the basic features/sections of second and third lines of defence functions’ policies?
This highly interactive, tailored and robust programme provides second and third lines of defence functions in CMO in Nigeria with practical insights into documentation drafting and report and letter writing skills required by 21st century forward-thinking and performance-oriented second and third lines of defence professionals. Professionals who attend this programme will develop higher level confidence to engage their boards (and relevant board and management committees) and regulators, particularly from the context of the report and documents they use for these engagements.
The programme provides practical and robust approach, techniques and top tips for making policy drafting and report writing easier.
To provide robust and practical insights into policy drafting, report writing (internal engagement focus) and letter writing (regulator/law enforcement focus) by second and third lines of defence functions. By the end of the programme each participant will be able to:
- Appreciate the purpose of reports
- Develop policy drafting and report/letter writing capabilities
- Know and understand the need of the users of reports (e.g. the board, board committees or regulators)
- Tailor reports to the specific users (avoid a one-size-fits-all approach)
- Plan and prepare for report writing
- Identify the key points to include in a report
- Structure reports to create impact
- Use language that makes it easy for the reader to understand the content of the report
- Ensure the report is well presented
- Appreciate the importance of carefully proofreading and checking reports prior to circulation
- Know, in practical terms through hands-on demonstration, how to draft robust and leading practice policies (Risk Management, Compliance, Internal Control, AML, Business Continuity Management, Crisis Management, Ethics, Internal Audit, etc.), reports (to boards, board committees, management committees, etc.), letters (to regulators, law enforcement/investigative agencies or to aggrieved customers/clients)
- Learn how to draft risk-based compliance programmes, risk management plans and risk-based audit plans
- Familiarise yourself with relevant templates and sample draft policies (Table of Contents) and reports
WHY LEISHTON ACADEMY?
We are first a research company, and everything we do, be it training or consulting, is based on research we have conducted ourselves or those conducted by others. So, we do not just train on the basis of emotions. Our training programmes are based on strong theoretical and empirical findings. These findings allow us to provide our programmes’ participants up to date perspective on areas of interest.
In addition, we are locals and we understand the business environment. We have a good blend of both consulting and real-world day-to-day practical business experience in Nigeria. We have folded our sleeves before and we can fold it for you. Indeed, we are not just trainers and facilitators, we have a good understanding of how things are done in practice in Nigeria. We pride ourselves to be subject matter experts (SMEs) in the areas we train on. If we cannot provide contemporary insights and in-depth knowledge on a particular subject area, then we would say it from the outset.
Furthermore, we have developed our competencies in a lot of areas and we can be a one-stop shop for your organisation in terms of consulting, training and research (qualitative or quantitative) in the areas of leadership, governance, strategy, change management, risk management, compliance, AML/CFT (for financial institution), ethics, team functionality, emotional intelligence, legendary customer service, internal control and standard operating procedures (SOPs) development. We also go out of our way to adopt the best model for each training programme we offer and we are even ready to go “Down Under” (Australia) if that is where we will find the best model. Aut Optimum Aut Nihil; this Latin maxim is not just a philosophy to us, we live it.
Finally, we have few partner firms in South Africa that we can occasionally collaborate with in areas where we need additional capacity.
Why Attend this Programme?
This programme equip you and your team with policy drafting and report writing skills that would shape your future engagements with your board and regulators.
Participant will learn through our blended learning approach, including presentations, case studies, role plays and individual and group exercises how to draft policies and write succinct reports and letters.
With this programme, you will benefit from:
- Condensed, 2-day policy drafting and report writing training
- Proven practical approaches to drafting policies, writing reports and letters for effective engagements
- Real-world examples and practical suggestions for policy drafting and report writing
- To be held in Lagos, Nigeria
- Out-of-the office focus on policy drafting and report writing – away from distractions, phone calls, meetings and other interruptions